JISHOU, HUNAN — This test is what I inflicted on my Western Culture students this morning. How well can you do on it? No looking at your textbooks, cell phones, or the Internet.
Western Culture and Civilization
Student ID ____________________________
2008 G1 and G2
First test, Ancient Greece, 22 October 2010
IDENTIFY THE FOLLOWING PEOPLE AND PLACES:
TEST CONTINUES ON THE NEXT PAGE
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS (Use your own paper for these, please):
11. Ancient Greece fostered the first known republic and the first known democracy in the world. Where were these political experiments, exactly? Give a brief description of how each system of government was organized.
12. Socrates was one of the earliest and most influential of the ancient philosophers. What were his core beliefs?
13. Give two examples of the Greeks’ contributions to mathematics and science. Discuss each one briefly.
14. What was the basic story or theme of Homer’s Iliad? Of Homer’s Odyssey?
15. Why is the civilization and culture of the ancient Greeks so important to the West?
BONUS POINTS: Match the Greek god or goddess to his or her attributes.(10 points maximum)
|1 _____||Ares||A||The first woman|
|2______||Aphrodite||B||Creator of the first man, bringer of fire|
|3______||Zeus||C||The god of war|
|4 _____||Hades||D||The goddess of the harvest|
|5 _____||Poseidon||E||The messenger god|
|6 _____||Herakles (Hercules)||F||The king of the gods|
|7 _____||Hermes||G||The king of the sea|
|8 _____||Prometheus||H||The goddess of love and beauty (and desire)|
|9 _____||Pandora||I||The king of the underworld|
|10 ____||Demeter (Ceres)||J||A son of Zeus, and a great hero|